Not just for professionals: The latest kitchen gadgets to whet your appetite
Food that has been cooked with love is undoubtedly the most delicious – but a little bit of culinary skill is also an essential ingredient if you want to enjoy the time you spend in your kitchen. With the latest kitchen gadgets at your disposal, you’ll be able to cook up the perfect menu. Here are our top-five smart kitchen gadgets – for yourself or as a gift for professionals and home cooks.
1. Drop Scale smart scales – A recipe for perfect results
The Drop Scale by Adaptics is no run-of-the-mill set of kitchen scales: The Drop Scale not only weighs your ingredients, but also acts as a virtual kitchen assistant through the connected app on your smartphone or tablet.
Use the app to search for recipes and then access step-by-step instructions to guide you through the process from start to finish. If you need to use more or less of a particular ingredient, the app will recalculate the weights needed for the recipe. It can also suggest an alternative ingredient if you don’t have the exact item on the list. There’s a great social platform behind Drop Scale too: The online Drop Scale community allows you to chat to other cooks and get inspiration from their creations.
The Drop Scale makes a perfect gift for home cooks and anyone looking for an easy way to improve their cooking. The scale is available online.
2. Cutting edge: Mliter electric knife block
The Mliter knife block is a little different to conventional blade storage solutions: It’s made from elegant and easy-to-clean stainless steel and matt black plastic, and is designed not only to store your knives, but also to sharpen, dry and disinfect them. The integrated electric knife sharpener can be extended when needed and then concealed inside the machine when not in use. Knives are disinfected using a UV lamp housed inside a removable compartment. If you’ve been on the lookout for a smart knife block, or searching for a suitable gift for a cook who understands the importance of a sharp set of knives, you can order the knife block.
3. Fresh & local: The plantCube® smart garden
The plantCube® is designed to enable you to grow your own food.
plantCube® is a mini greenhouse equipped with special LEDs that emit light at exactly the wavelength your plants need to survive, so that you can harvest your own plentiful crops of delicious herbs and vegetables. In your high-tech mini garden, you can cultivate edible plants all year round from your kitchen. The integrated automatic irrigation system ensures that your seedlings always have enough water. The plantCube also creates the perfect micro-climate for your plants throughout the year.
You can order new seeds and track the growth of your plants via the app, which will also notify you when your crops are ready to harvest. The Cube is a great design piece and a wonderful way to add an attractive touch of green to your kitchen. The plantCube® is available on the agrilution website.
4. Daway smart drinking bottleThe Daway smart drinking bottle holds half a litre of liquid, is made of stainless steel and is corrosion-resistant, odourless, rust-proof and free of hazardous substances. But what makes it so smart? The answer lies in the chip embedded in the neck of the bottle, which reminds the owner to drink. If you’re one of the many people who struggle to drink the recommended minimum of two litres of water a day, the Daway bottle will be a helpful addition to your kitchen. Simply activate the reminder alarm by double-pressing the lid, and the bottle will beep every two hours to remind you to drink. It will also let you know when your water is no longer fresh or when it contains bacteria. You can even tap the lid to see the temperature of the liquid inside. The battery on this smart gadget will hold its charge for up to 30 days and can be recharged in around 90 minutes. This useful bottle can only be bought online.
5. Kitchen gadgets for creative types: The PancakeBot™
If you could eat pancakes every single day, then we’ve got just the gadget for you: The PancakeBot™ prints your pancakes in virtually any imaginable shape. The PancakeBot™ is the world’s first food printer: It prints your pancakes in the shape you want and dispenses the batter directly onto the griddle. Another fun fact: PancakeBot™ inventor Miguel Valenzuela made the first prototype of the machine from Lego. He then used crowd funding to finance the mass production of the machine.
You can use software to design your own PancakeBot™ shapes and save them onto the printer’s SD card. The online pancake community continually shares new designs, covering everything from Mickey Mouse to abstract works of art – ensuring that you never get bored. Currently, the pancake printer is only available in Canada and the USA.
Do you have any smart gadgets in your kitchen? Let us know in the comments.