Black interior inspiration: how to stage a “non-colour” at home
From house facades to wallpaper and furniture: all-black interior is now a well-established trend among design experts and enthusiasts. The light-absorbing non-colour adds an elegant touch to any room.
Depending on your personal taste, you can either create subtle accents or bold statements. We’ve got some practical tips and unusual ideas to give you some inspiration.
Black interior in the living room: sophisticated yet homely
You’d like to give your living room a chic update without compromising on comfort? This works best with a combination of striking details, fluid shapes, and soft fabrics.
- Black furniture pieces such as the Imola armchair always add a sense of elegance – but still invite you to snuggle up with a good read and a hot cup of tea.
Black interior in the bathroom: from shower walls to radiators
Dark surfaces look especially appealing on glossy tiles or basins. If you want to go all out, you can even paint an entire wall black. This will serve as an ideal backdrop for mirrors and shiny details in gold or silver.
- Black faucets have become a staple among bathroom interior designers. Variants with a matt finish are also low-maintenance, as water stains and fingerprints don’t show easily.
- Want to keep your bathroom warm and cosy? Then you might benefit from a matching heater to complement your all-black interior. Italian manufacturer Tubes Radioatori has designed an electric radiator with a special twist: the Origami works just like a folding screen that can be set up anywhere.
- To top it all off, the luxury brand Villeroy & Boch even offers a shower toilet in glossy black. The ViClean-I100 model is a great option for anyone who’d like to give their bathroom an extravagant look.
Black interior in the kitchen: stylish and functional
Non-colour shades are in high demand for kitchen installations this year. Next to countertops in dark marble, granite, and concrete, you can opt for black cupboards, built-in appliances, faucets, and sinks.
- For an upscale finish, we recommend combining opaque elements with shiny, sparkling details such as handles or faucets made from stainless steel.
- You prefer a warm and homely ambience? Just balance out your black interior with soft earthy tones and natural materials.
- If you are looking for a holistic monochrome concept, take a look at the new kitchen designs from the Danish manufacturer Reform: in collaboration with Jean Nouvel, a renowned French architect, the company offers modular countertops with a variety of colours and materials to choose from.
The model REFLECT is available in all black, featuring high-gloss fronts with vertical ridges and a Fenix laminate surface.
Minimalist design for any interior style: Gira E2 switches stand out with their simple, yet sophisticated aesthetics.
Interior accessories: black-on-black is the new black-on-white
Lately, many well-known design classics have seen a comeback with a change of colour: black puts a modern spin on retro pieces, bringing out a sense of timeless elegance in contemporary homes.
- The pendant luminaire Artichoke from Danish manufacturer Louis Poulsen creates an intriguing play of contrasts: black glossy panels are illuminated from within by the light bulbs placed at the centre.
- As showcased by the Swedish company String Furniture, black-matt surfaces work particularly well with industrial-style interior.
- If you’re looking for ways to turn plain walls into an eye-catcher, the QLOCKTWO 180 will definitely do the trick: its display spans 180 cm in height and width, with illuminated letters stating the current time against a black-matt background.
Small accents make a big difference: switches and socket outlets in black
Oftentimes, it’s the minor details that can change the entire look and feel of a room. We usually see white switches and socket outlets everywhere – but have you ever thought about trying a different colour variant? Lovers of black interior can choose from a variety of options:
- Looking for a switch with smart features? The Gira pushbutton sensor 4 allows you to control up to eight functions – and comes with a black matt or black glass covering.
Thanks to the modular concept of Gira System 55, you can freely mix and match the frame design of your choice with different inserts. Each component has the same uniform measurements of 55 x 55 mm, which allows you to combine more than 300 individual functions in your Smart Home.
Gira pushbutton sensor 4
Take control of your whole KNX system with one smart switch: 8 assignable buttons, adjustable LED lights, various designs.
From urban loft apartments to old country houses – all-black interior design can transform living spaces in various ways. The “non-colour“ proves to be all but boring.
Adding subtle details or covering entire walls, it always puts the interplay of form and function centre-stage. A truly timeless choice that will never go out of style.
How would you integrate black elements at home? Do you prefer soft accents or edgy statements? Let’s get creative in the comment section!
Japandi interior: fusing Scandinavian and Japanese design
Combining two major trends of interior design, the so-called "Japandi" style feels both minimalistic and homely at the same time.Read more
Creating the perfect cottage ambiance in your home
Are you dreaming of a living room with a country-style atmosphere? Here's how you can make your home as cosy as a cottage.Learn more
Gorgeous grey colour schemes for your living room
Grey is anything but boring: from earthy tones to sparkling surfaces, the colour can be combined in various ways.Learn more
Nature-inspired interior design: how to take the outdoors inside
Chairs with leafy structures, serpentine lamps, bird figurines: Nature is a great source of inspiration for your home.Learn more
Gira indoor socket outlets: from minimalistic to extravagant
Gira offers a wide range of socket outlets for any home: functional, aesthetic, and available in various designs.Learn more
Industrial-style living: Interior spaces with an edge
Unplastered walls, old metal cabinets, exposed bulbs: Industrial design creates a cool vibe not only in urban loft apartments.Learn more
Gira design lines: the perfect switch for every home
With no less than 90 frame variants and 300 functions, the Gira switch design lines match any interior style.Choose your favorite